Friday, July 15, 2011

Friday Already?

I don't know how this week has gotten away from me but it has.  Actually I am sure that I can put it into a word-migraine.  For whatever reason I was hit hard this week with a migraine that started on Tuesday.  I could feel it coming on which is not always the case with me.  I started getting 'floaters' in my eyes and feeling just slightly nauseaus, so I tried to be careful about what I ate and made sure to wear my glasses so not to strain my eyes, I was vigilant about my medication.  To no avail.  It hit hard sometime between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, while I was sleeping.  I woke up in the middle of the night in severe pain.  Eyes burning, head crushing, dizzying, bed spinning PAIN!  If you've ever been there, then you know what I am talking about and it is an absolutely terrible way to be woken from sleep.  It is a terrible way to have to live.

 
So many people throw around the word migraine and misuse it for the word headache, but for those of us who truly suffer, the difference might be compare to having a splinter in your finger or a railroad stake driven through your hand.  There is no difference. 
The University of Md. Medical Center describes a migraine as such:

The headache from a migraine, with or without aura, has the following characteristics:

  • Throbbing, pounding, or pulsating pain
  • Often begins on one side of your head and may spread to both or stay localized
  • Most intense pain is often concentrated around the temple(s) (side of the forehead)
  • Can last from 4 - 72 hours
These symptoms may occur at the same time or before the headache:
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Dizziness, lightheadedness, or even vertigo (feeling like the room is spinning)
  • Loss of appetite
  • Fatigue
  • Visual disturbances, like seeing flashing lights or zigzag lines, temporary blind spots (for example, loss of your peripheral vision), or blurred vision
  • Parts of your body may feel numb, weak, or tingly
  • Light, noise, and movement – especially bending over – make your head hurt worse; you want to lie down in a dark, quiet room
  • Irritability
Symptoms that may linger even after the headache is gone:
  • Feeling mentally dull, like your thinking is not clear or sharp
  • Sleepiness
  • Neck pain
To put it succinctly, it sucks.  Really and truly.  There is no escape no way out it is just a waiting game.  I am now somewhere around hour number 55 and counting.  The good new is that my vision has gotten better.  While it is still blurred, I no longer feel as though I am looking at the world through clouded lenses.  And I am no long nauseaus or vomiting.  A vast improvement from yesterday and the day before.  My head is still pounding, my eyes hurt, I'm tired and menmtally I feel incapacitated.  As for the irratibility goes, just ask the receptionist at my work who sent me an email to tell me that I had packages at the front desk.  I had to assume that my response to her was somewhat on the terse side because she emailed back to me 'ALRIGHTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!   JEESHH!"   I had to very quickly eat humble pie (via email of course) blaming it all on the headache.

So, that's my tale of woe for the week.  I tell you this so the next time that someone says they have a migraine that you will understand a little of what they are going through.  Or that if you have a headache please don't say that you have a migraine, the two are vastly different.  
And one more thing, any prayers you could send up for me would be greatly appreciated.  I think I could use any and all I can get about now.   

No comments:

Post a Comment