Sunday, June 24, 2012

Weekend in Review

Yesterday Mr. Wonderful and I had a wedding to go to in the afternoon.  The Groom is a friend of his from the golf course.  It was the second marriage for both the bride and groom and it was lovely.  The bride wore a short white, sleeveless dress made of lace and the groom was dapper in his tux.  The bride's two grandsons were in the wedding and were as cute as can be.  The happy couple had met when both were part of the police department and began dating quite a number of years ago.  The groom has since retired from his job as a police officer but when  news of the wedding got around, the chaplain for the department expressed an interest in performing the ceremony.  He was very good and had the guests and the bride and groom laughing as he spoke of having had the chance to get to know them pretty well as a couple over the last 9 or so years! 
The reception was lots of fun and I danced quite a bit.  Having been in high heels for several hours has left me a bit sore today though! 
This morning I finished up a project that I've been working on for a while now, staining the playset in the backyard.  It's been quite a job and I really glad to have finally completed it.  I had hoped to be able to finish it before it got too hot outside, but going out at ten o'clock proved to be too lae for that.  It was pretty hot already and by the time I had finished I was soaked in sweat.  I swear that thing was growing as I was staining it!  Took so long to finish it because we had to wait until it wasn't raining, wasn't going to rain, we didn't have plans for something else going on, etc.  But it's done, that's the most important thing and I won't have to do it again for a while.  I hope.

We had gotten some fresh blueberries in and I can only eat so many of them, so this afternoon I made a loaf of blueberry bread.  Yum!                                                                                     

Fresh from the oven....
Here's the recipe I use-it's really good.
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 cups blueberries
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup oil
Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and sugar.  Add berries and nuts, mix to distribute evenly.
Add eggs and oil and mix only until ingredients are moistened.
Pour nto a well-greased and floured loaf pan.
Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

I wanted to share one more picture with you.
I picked these from my garden this afternoon. I just love Hydrangeas and we planted two bushes on the one side of our house several years ago.  Both bushes we planted we blue and the first couple of years they really didn't produce much and the only flowers that bloomed were pink.  In the last couple of ears though, htey have really taken off and now as you can see, I have both pink and blue blooms.  Copious amounts of blooms at that!  I think they are just beautiful and love cutting some to bring inside.  My neighbor next door like them as well as they have a birds' eye view of them. 
We also discovered that the bee balm that we plantd a few years ago has finally bloomed.  Bright red flowers.  So pretty!  We have a butterfly garden in the rear of the yard, behind the playset and it is really looking good this year.  Gotta give the props to the ole hubby on that, he is the gardener of the family now.
I've given it up in recent years because of the difficulty I have n bending over and getting up, but it's just as well-he does a great job.
Hope you all had a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment