Friday, June 29, 2012

Summertime! (And the livin' is easy?)

Not so much!  For me anyway.  Been super busy, both at work and at home.  I've been working nearly 50 hours a week and commuting, so you know that I'm not home too much.  When I am home, I am trying to catch up with the cleaning, the laundry and the other every day things that a working woman does.  I'm also trying to get some time in with Bella whenever I can.  Yesterday I had the chance to pick her up at school, not something I get to do too often.  When I got there she held up her pool pass and gave me a big hug.
I got the hint and took her to the pool when we got home.  It was horribly hot outside, so we stayed in the water cooling off the whole time.  We were only there for an hour, but it was good for both of us!
The water has an extremely good effect on my muscles and I can totally relax in the water.  Pain free.  Though it isn't a lasting effect, it feels good none the less!
Today the temperatures are supposed to reach 100 again and there is a weather advisory out for the day again.  Not supposed to spend much time outside.  With the heat index it will feel like 115 I'm told and I can understand it.  It is already humid and hot, Hot, HOT out there.  Yuck! 

I started Physical Therapy again this week.  I know it is what I need, I just have to get my head wrapped around the fact that I'll be doing this for the rest of my life.  Seems daunting when I think about it in those terms!  My new doctor/therapist is a very sweet young woman.  As we were talking we realized that she graduated with my son Timmy.  Boy do I feel old!  She's only been out of school for a little over a year, after 8 years of college.  Wow!  Anyway, she recommended a combination of land and water therapy.  I will be going back again today and have 2 appointments scheduled a week for the next 2 weeks out.  We'll concentrate on getting me back some flexibility, as my muscles are extremely taught and make movement rather difficult at this time.  She will use a combination of exercise and transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation or TENS.  TENS uses gel-covered pads attached to a box from which a current is emitted. The pads are placed over the painful area. The current can be high or low frequency and its strength can also be altered using dials. If TENS does work for a patient then they often find that the longer it is used the greater the effect (at least 2 hours each day). 
For me the frequency is turned up as high as I can take it and is healthy, with the hope that stimulating the muscles so much will then force them to relax.  TENS is my favorite part of PT!  It feels so good and sometimes I am allowed to lay on the pads and just rest while it is on.  (I've been known to fall asleep during the process!) 

Traffic has been pretty heavy lately, so I have been using an alternate route to go to and from work.  It is more scenic for one, less traveled and more relaxing.  So on the way to work the other day I noticed a Consignment Shop that I had never seen before.  On my way home that day I noticed that it was open, so I stopped in.  Great move on my part!  I got a couple of items for my craft room, but saw lots of good stuff.  The store is relatively small, but it is jammed packed with all kinds of neat stuff.  They opened in February, shows how much I pay attention, and initially their inventory was about 50% home goods and 50% clothing.  Since then they have been phasing out the clothing items because they have found that the home goods and purses are among their best sellers.  They also host a Flea Market 3 Saturdays a month on a grassy area next to their parking lot.  The Flea Market is a time when people can come and set up their things and sell them.  Some vendors show up as well from time to time.  Consultants for companies like: thirty-one, Scentsy, etc.  I can assure you that I'll be making my way to one of those sometime soon! 

I have been searching for a wooden chair that I can paint and use as a prop for photo shoots.  So far I haven't found anything that I like, but I'm sure something will pop up.  I have really been hoping to try my hand at furniture painting and think that this might be a great way to start.  Consequently, I have been hunting Goodwill, the Habitat for Humanity store, yard sales and the like, to no avail.  Though I haven't found anything yet, I haven't bought anything that I don't need either.  When Mr. Wonderful and I went to Luckett's a few weeks ago I stumbled across a booth that sold Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  Swoon!  Lucky for me they had just gotten in a large order of their Tester Pots and I picked up a few.  Chalk Paint™ is a unique paint in 30 decorative and historical colours made specifically for painting furniture, painting floors, and for giving walls a completely matt velvety finish.
I got Duck Egg Blue, Emerpor's Silk and Old White.  I have been dieing to use them!  A while back I found an old Sewing Table that was being thrown out.  The machine had been removed and the top was marked up, but other than that it was in good shape.  I threw it in the back of the car and took it home.  I thought this would be a great project for me to use the paint on, right?  Wrong!  At least according to Mr.W.  He took the table and put it downstairs in his 'man cave' and says that it's fine and I shouldn't touch it.  (I may have to grab it one day while he's at work and start working away on it.)  So my search continues.

I am so looking forward to the weekend.  Since we had no plans I scheduled a little 'me' time at a local spa.  Yeah!  Beginning at 9:00 I will be treated to a massage, mani and pedi, lunch and a deep conditioning, shampoo and style.  Can't wait!  I'll be cashing in a Gift Certificate that Mr. Wonderful presented me with for Mother's Day. 

Hope you all enjoy your weekend! 


 




No comments:

Post a Comment