Monday, April 12, 2010

Can't stop it from happening,

Much as I'd like to try, Monday always rolls around.  Ha!  What I need is a stay at home vacation, but since that doesn't seem likely I'll have to settle for weekends.  Anyway mine was productive enough.  After sleeping in until 9:00 on Saturday (yes, you read that right!) I managed to clean the house, shower and dress before the girls got back from dance.  Then Michelle helped me tackle the basement.  It looked like a frat house after  five years of dirty, smelly college guys had moved out!  It didn't smell much better.  We cleared out his bedroom and I was able to get a coat of paint up on the walls.  I didn't have any spackle, so I couldn't fill in the staple holes or the actual hole in the wall from where his remote went through the wall, but I didn't want to go to the store, so I figured I'd get to that and then paint again.  Amazing what a coat of paint can do for a room!  Jim thought that once we were able to get the carpets cleaned and stretched they would look as good as new and my thoughts on were that he was the king of 'la-la land'!  Seriously?  Tim hosted many friends, strays, and our two dogs.  He was the designated driver and was often called upon in the middle of the night to go out and pick up friends who were too drunk to drive home and they would often wind up in our house.  Drunk guys passed out on the couch don't often worry about what they spill on the floor or where they might drop excess fluids that projectile from there mouths, if you get my drift.  UGH! 
Sunday I had planned on working on our patio/deck furniture.  It is wrought iron and every few years it needs to get a good scrubbing and a fresh coat of paint.  Jim had gotten the paint and I set out to work.  I had thought that he had gotten several cans, but they were all different types.  After I had finished with one chair he said that he would go to Home Depot and asked if I'd like to go with him.  Although it was not at the top of my hit parade, I had an alterior motive so I went along.  We picked up the needed paint and looked at some new patio furniture but I said that I'd rather not get anything new when we needed new carpet for the basement so badly and patio furniture could wait.  We walked around a bit more, picked up a few things and eventually made our way over to the carpet section.  Jim suggested that we take a look at carpet (great idea), so we did and priced some out (better idea), he said that he'd rather put the money into carpet now because we could get another year out of the patio furniture and it really could wait (great idea), so we will be getting new carpet for the basement when I finish painting and cleaning it up! 
When we got home I did manage to get three chairs, two small tables, one recliner and a double glider painted and back on the deck.  Though that was pretty good progress for one day.  I should be able to finish next weekend provided we have good weather.  I also picked up some spackle and got all the staple holes in the bedroom filled in and the larger remote hole patched and did a mighty fine patch job on it if I do say so myself.  I'll give it a day or so to dry completely, sand and re-spackle if necessary and then add a second coat of paint.  In the large rec room area there is a dart board and the wall that that is on is a mess with holes too.  Whoa!  I got a those holes patches too, but they will take more work than the simple staple holes.  Jim would like to keep it up but after fixing all the holes I am all about taking it down or at least mounting it on a large cork board frame first and then putting it back up to help preserve the wall a bit.  What a mess!
Guess we'll have to see how that will play out.
I'll keep you up to date on our progress and hopefully post a picture or two. 
How was your weekend? 

No comments:

Post a Comment