Monday, November 21, 2011

Rewind

It was another full weekend and I plan on updating about it over two posts, so as not to overwhelm you with all the excitement.  Ha! 
Saturday we were having Michelle, Shawn & the kids as well as Shawn's parents over for dinner. 

During the night I was awakened by an absolutely terrible migraine headache.  All night long it kept waking me from sleep and when morning finally came I knew that it was going to be a rough day.  Mr. Wonderful was already at work, so I crept downstairs to let the dogs out and grab a Maxalt and a cup of coffee and sat down for a while and hoped and prayed that the pill would work its wonders.  It didn't.
So, I got up and made a brocolli casserole for dinner and put that in the refrigerator and then dusted the downstairs, cleaned the glass.  Now I was feeling sick to my stomach, so I got a glass of tea and laid down for a while till it passed, and got up and did a little more.  I figured I had all day, and I could just do a little at a time and get the house in order and the dinner all prepped and ready, the dishes laid out and ready for the food.  Everyone was bringing something too, so I didn't have to do everything, but I did want the house to be clean and presentable looking.  I also figured that somewhere along the line I needed to get another Maxalt in my system and really hope that number 2 would do the trick.  It didn't.
Eventually I got everything done and was feeling well enough to at least be pleasant.  I had made cupcakes on Friday night and iced them on Saturday and they were yummy...

The icing especially!  Michelle is not too much a fan of cake or icing, but she keept licking the icing off the cupcakes and then giving the licked cupcake to Shawn to eat or just tossing the cupcake.  She loved the icing because it wasn't too sweet at all.

Recipe courtesy of Paula Dean:
Chocolate-Banana Cream Miniature Cupcakes
(makes 4 dozen mini cupcakes)

1 box chocolate cake mix
1 (3.4 oz.) box instant banana cream-flavored pudding mix
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup sour cream2 cups thawed frozen whipped topping
Garnish: dried banana chips

  1.  Preheat oven to 350.  Line 2 (24-cup) mini muffin pans with foil liners.
  2.  Prepare cake mix according to package directions.  Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in cernter comes out clean.  Cool in pans for 10 minutes.  Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
  3.  In a medium bowl, combine pudding mix and confectioners' sugar.  Add cream and sour cream; beat at medium speed with a mixer until very thick.  Fold in whipped topping.  Pipe or spread mixture over cupcakes.  Garnish with banana chips, if desired.  Store cupcakes, covered, in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
We all  had a nice evening and after dinner my nephew and his wife, both of whom I adore came over for a while too.  We don't get to see them too often, so it was nice to catch up with them for a while as well. 
Della and Rex took the kids  home with them for the night as they haven't had a chance to spend any time with them in a while and planned on making gingerbread houses with them.  That is something that I simply have never been able to master!  I just make a royal mess of everything, myself included!! 
With the children gone for the night, Michelle and Shawn had a date night and went out to the movies alone.  Something that they don't get to do too often. 
All in all, I think it was a good evening for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment