Monday, January 11, 2010

Weekend Recap!

Saturday I went with my church to the Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, D.C.  It was the first time that I had been there and it was quite an experience.  The museum itself is really an architectural masterpiece.  The architect  used a lot of symbolism throughout the museum to represent different features that he saw when he visited the concentration camps in Germany, and from photos of the ghettos and the effect is really amazing.  Our group had almost 80 people in it and we were broken up into 7 or eight different groups each with a tour guide.  My group was lucky enough to have a survivor as a tour guide and her insight into the museum was priceless.  She gave us a first hand account of her experience during "The Night of the Broken Glass" or "Kristallnacht" which was facinating.  Built on four floors, you go through the museum like walking around in a circle with very few steps.  (There are a lot of steps from the auditorium to the main floor, but not in the museum itself.)  As we were getting deeper into the museum, I began to realize that the rooms themselves seemed to get smaller.  It is a very moving experience.  After our tour, we were treated to a first hand account by a survivor volunteer.  He spoke to us for over an hour and his account was truly heartbreaking.  He was a teenager in Poland during the war and he had to evacuate the town he lived in, walk with his family and their belongings to a relatives house, then they were moved to a ghetto and from there he was seperated from his family and moved to a concentration camp via the cattle car.  He was eventually liberated from the concentration camp only to find out that the ghetto where his family had been had been "liquidated'.  He made his way to the US and has been here for 60 years.  His story has been video taped by Stephen Spielburg when he was working on "Schindler's List". 
After such an emotionally and physically draining day, I was exhausted on Sunday and didn't even make it out of my pajamas!  I took a nap in the morning and another one in the evening!  Ha!  I'm like a child again, napping all day.  I did manage to get some work in my Scrapatorium done.  A couple of quick layouts and a little card set.  But that was about it!




I just love Papertrey Ink's button bit stamps!  So easy and fun to play with! 
Oh, and I had several messages on my Facebook account because I rarely go in there and while I was on it, I noticed that I had never put in my marital status.  So while I  was there, I changed my status to 'married'.  Now I am getting lots of Congratulations from old friends and classmates!  As well as a few 'finallys' from family.  Ha!  After nearly 29 years of married life.  Too funny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment