Thursday, September 2, 2010

Jerry and Me

I'm a fan of Jerry Lewis.  Yes, I admit it.  I loved all of those old comedies like "The Nutty Professor", "At War With the Army" and "The Errand Boy".  He cracked me up!  But more than making me laugh, I have always admired him for his tireless efforts on behalf of the Muscular Dystrophy Association.  Ironic, Huh.


When I was a kid, my brothers and sister and I I would often stay up all night and watch the Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon.  We cheered him on as the tote boards rolled out the new high numbers.  (In those days the numbers actually kind of rolled!)  We challenged each other to stay up all night, to see each act as they came on stage and to hear each story, each tale, each heroic act, and see Jerry tear up with each donation given in honor of 'his' kids.  We did our best to raise money and to make our donations when we could.  We didn't know why Jerry was so dedicated to this cause, but it didn't really matter, he was and we watched.  It was a Labor Day Tradition, and it continues to be one.  

I had no way of knowing then that I would come to know the MDA in such an intimate way.  No way of knowing that  Muscular Dystrophy would have an affect on my life in the way that it does today.  Who would have guessed it?  Often when I tell people that I have Muscular Dystrophy they are surprised, often shocked.  I am not what they 'expect' of someone with the disease.  For one, because I walk on my own accrd and for another because I am female.  Something that I didn't know is that many people associate MD as a 'male' disease.  Well, I am  here to tell you - it can and does affect both male and female members of the population!

*myotonia*Steinerts*genes*Chromosone 3*Limb muscles*ptosis*MMD2*CPAP*distal muscles*mexilitine* EKG*Provigil*cataracts*alleals*diabetes*electromyogram*EMG*muscle biopsy*degenerative*progressive*auto-somonal*weakness*slurred speach*cardiac arrythmia*

A few yeas ago these were just word to me, now they have a whole greater meaning.  With Labor Day right around the corner I wanted to take a moment to remind you to take a moment and be grateful.  For your health, for your family, for your job, for whatever.  I have much to be grateful for and I try to remember that daily.  I'd also like to ask that if you are so inclined, please make donation to the MDA this weekend, every bit helps to do so much.  The research that is going on daily is amazing and I am convinced that a cure will be found and soon!  There are so many different types of neuromuscular diseases that are helped by the MDA, your dollars can do so much.  I urge you to take a few minutes and go to the website and see what is being done-you will be amazed! 

And that is the end of my public service announcement.  On to our regularly scheduled programming. 
Have a safe and happy Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment